< At Last!
DSR False Alarms >

[Comments] (7) More Dang Restaurant Reviews: Fried Okra Edition: I love fried okra. Says the South, "You came to the right place!" Here they deep-fry it instead of sauteeing it in butter like my father did, but it's still good. Anyway, the theme of today's restaurant reviews is places with fried okra.

Cotham's in the City: A restaurant near the capitol where, I suppose, all the politicians and staffers eat lunch. The whole restaurant is decorated with signs from political campaigns, and they have a rotating "stereotypical dish of the day": chicken and dumplings on Tuesday, fried chicken on Wednesday, etc. It basically involves either chicken or frying or both. They also have a dessert called "Mississippi Mud" (not the same as a Mississippi mud pie), which sounded really good but which I found disappointing. I may try my hand at improving it.

Dixie Cafe: This restaurant's entrees are nothing to write home about, but they have good sides (like fried okra) and a good fruit cobbler for dessert (they were the inspiration for my attempt at blackberry cobbler). They also have this whole little sub-restaurant inside the restaurant called "Polar Freeze" or something. It's an ice-cream parlor for kids. It's lit up all blue and it's a little scary, since we go there at night and there's never anyone there. It's like the Milkshake Research Laboratories or something.

Popeye's Chicken: This is a nationwide chain, but I just wanted to give it a dishonorable mention because it used to have fried okra and now it doesn't. Boo!

Filed under:

Comments:

Posted by Rachel at Mon Dec 15 2003 14:53

Also, someone told me (Mom, perhaps?) that someone was once served a fried rat as one of their chicken pieces at Popeyes.

Posted by Leonard at Mon Dec 15 2003 14:56

Mom says that about every restaurant.

Posted by Andy H. at Mon Dec 15 2003 18:25

What's okra? I can't tell if this is my usual ignorance or it has to do with my -3 modifier on American culture checks for being Canadian.

Posted by Leonard at Mon Dec 15 2003 18:34

Okra is an African vegetable that's used a lot in southern cooking, though it grows fine in California. It looks like a fuzzy jalapeno pepper, and it has five-part symmetry like an echinoderm. You may recognize it from such dishes as gumbo. It can also be pickled (which I think is gross) or fried (delicious).

Posted by Susie at Mon Dec 15 2003 22:05

Aunt Sharon showed me how to make it and gave me a baggie or corn meal to use. Yummy.

Posted by Brendan at Mon Dec 15 2003 23:08

Fried okra is actually harder to find than you'd think in Kentucky. I'm sure there are chains (O'Charley's, Red Lobster) that have it as a mandated Regional Side Dish, but that stuff barely deserves the name. The places that make decent okra now tend to be the same mildly-greasy-spoons that sell authentic pulled pork and lake catfish. These are sinful, wonderful places, and it's usually worth checking out the rest of the menu at nonchain restaurants that sell okra at all.

Posted by Andy H. at Tue Dec 16 2003 16:10

Thank you. I am become more learned.