< Shameless Word-Of-Mouth Marketing
An Approach To "Twisty Little Passages: An Approach To Interactive Fiction" >

[Comments] (10) Coconut Cuisine: Lately I've been making ice cream with coconut milk instead of cow milk. My original plan for such an ice cream was coconut/chocolate, which I still haven't gotten around to because my making of ice cream has slowed to a crawl because of my attempt to stop eating so many desserts, but how could it be bad?

I actually bought a coconut, thinking that the stuff inside was "coconut milk" (the way... well, I can't think of any foods that work that way), then discovered that it's actually "coconut water", and that "coconut milk" is what you get when you simmer coconut meat in water. So I started buying the canned coconut milk with the elephant on the can, since some negligible percentage of the money I spend on the coconut milk goes to an Asian elephant sanctuary. (Incidentally, if you want to eliminate the middleman and give money directly to an elephant sanctuary, check out this one in Tennessee).

So now I have nice coconut-flavored ice cream but I also have a coconut I don't know what to do with. Ideas? I was thinking maybe I could put a lime in it and drink it all up.

Comments:

Posted by elise at Fri May 14 2004 13:01

Just open it up and drink the coconut water. It's yummy. You have to be careful when openning the coconut, however, so you don't spill the insides everywhere. Perhaps you could drill a hole in it, and stick a straw in...

Posted by John at Fri May 14 2004 13:03

I liked the link on your page today that gives Mapquest directions to Mordor. Now that's comedy!

By the way, coconut milk is terrible for you, but it sure is yummy.

Posted by Leonard at Fri May 14 2004 14:52

I know it's terrible for you. But it can't be that much more terrible for you than whole cow milk, which is what you're supposed to use in ice cream.

Posted by jcoab brenendes at Fri May 14 2004 16:13

i think it's quite clear that you should make a bra out of the coconut and wear it at your fraternity's big luau. incidentally after all this ice cream talk i got the ice cream maker at my house out and tried my hand at sherbet. it didn't work out so well but at least i got to eat sherbet without having to actually say the word "sherbet", which i have an anxiety about (anxiety towards? surrounding?).

Posted by Kristen at Fri May 14 2004 16:59

Coconut milk also doesn't have the allergens people get that cow milk has. My sister-in-law can have it although her baby that is breastfeeding can't have lactose. It is a good substitute, and if you get the low fat kind it is not too bad for you in recipes.

Posted by Kristen at Fri May 14 2004 17:16

By the way, I laughed at your joke...my dad sings that song sometimes. And also FYI not all coconuts have good tasting water...we had one that was so terrible it caused a gag reflex and I almost threw up.

Posted by Rachel at Fri May 14 2004 17:22

You should have a special weblog where we all (you all) post recipies & cooking tips so they are easier for people (me) to find when they (I) want to use them!

Posted by Leonard at Fri May 14 2004 18:19

I tried the low-fat coconut milk twice, but I don't taste the coconut as much as with the regular coconut milk I used on Wednesday. Which is weird because I can use nonfat milk for ice cream and I think it's just as good as when I use whole milk.

Rachel, you can see my recipes here:

It would be neat to have a group cooking weblog. Is anyone else interested?

Posted by mom at Fri May 14 2004 20:29

Are you, ah..., "regular?" Because if you are not, eating the fresh coconut meat will surely alleviate the problem.

There should be a recipe in your card box for Carrot Coconut Bread. It's a quick bread. My lab partner back when I took food science at DeAnza College made it up to enter in the Pillsbury Bake-off. She used fresh grated coconut.

She got disqualified from the finals of the Bake-off because she licked her finger.

Posted by Susie at Sun May 16 2004 13:07

I like the Taste of Thai coconut milk, although I learned you have to shake it before you open it. I used a samoan brand to make my curry a different time and it was really runny.