It's WikiDay in June! >

[Comments] (9) I wonder how they ship the sets?: A Lego container ship: my fanboy fantasy? No, it's an official set! It's all brand-named and I like my Lego sets generic (I never even applied those NASA decals on my space shuttle set), but I'm thinking about getting it or at least giving broad hints that it would look nice on my desk. If there was room on my desk.

Lego and Maersk might have some Scandanavian corporate synergy; maybe the container ship set was a cross-promotional deal. Update: Looks like it's been going on for a while, along with other promotional tie-ins.

Filed under: ,

Comments:

Posted by Frances at Thu Jun 03 2004 18:25

Don't wonder how they ship the sets. Wonder how they set the ships. (ie how many pieces of "specialty" Lego have they invented for this one?)

Posted by Leonard at Thu Jun 03 2004 19:58

Apparently they devised an entirely new color ("Maersk Blue") for this set.

Posted by Leonard at Thu Jun 03 2004 20:00

Hm, I think there is a bug in NewsBruiser that is eating the second and subsequent paragraphs of comments. I meant to continue with: The pieces themselves look pretty standard, for modern definitions of "standard". There are some huge shaped plates that make the hull, but they were probably created for the Millenium Falcon or something. I also see an anchor: they didn't have anchors in my day, but it's hard to see how they could have gone 12 years without inventing one.

Posted by Frances at Thu Jun 03 2004 22:03

The pirate ship had an anchor.

Posted by Leonard at Thu Jun 03 2004 23:14

That's true. It had a really big anchor and this is sort of a small anchor, so it's not the same piece, but it's the same kind of piece.

Posted by Brian Danger Hicks at Fri Jun 04 2004 00:36

I liked it back in the old days when the only corporate tie-in to Lego was Shell gasoline. Of course, now they've got that crappy Octan. Octan can never hold a candle to Shell, and that's not just because of the danger of flammable vapors!

Posted by Leonard at Fri Jun 04 2004 00:43

I've got a really, really old Lego piece that says "Esso". I really like the Shell tie-in sets as well, but they weren't the first. Also, as my update to this entry proves, the Lego/Marsk relationship has been active for at least 30 years.

Posted by Dane at Fri Jun 04 2004 06:39

Maersk Sealand is by far the largest container liner shipper in the world so I guess it makes sense to use that brand if you want to do a container ship. My only complaint is that around 7950 TEUs.

Posted by Dane at Fri Jun 04 2004 07:12

And again : Maersk Sealand is by far the largest container liner shipper in the world so I guess it makes sense to use that brand if you want to do a container ship. My only complaint is the around 7950 missing TEUs.