Sail The Boolean Seas >

[Comments] (14) Leonard's White Chocolate Vendetta #2: Finally, a use for white chocolate: Reverse chocolate chip cookies! Instead of pretending that white chocolate is chocolate, that it can be substituted for chocolate, or that it has special properties of its own and should be addressed as its own ingredient, it recognizes that white chocolate is the absence of chocolate, and treats it accordingly. And wouldn't you know but the result is pretty good. I can't help but think the result would be better (modulo the really quite nice visual) with real chocolate, though. That's the tragedy of white chocolate. If you do come up with a good recipe containing this ersatz chocolate, a better recipe is as close as using real chocolate instead.

Filed under:

Comments:

Posted by Susie at Wed Oct 06 2004 21:22

I've found a use for white chocolate. I don't like chocolate ice cream, but the white chocolate at ColdStone is quite yummy!

Posted by Frances at Wed Oct 06 2004 21:42

I've made chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips before. Pretty to look at and yummy to eat.

Posted by jacob at Thu Oct 07 2004 01:50

hey leonard speaking of negative cookies, what about a category of recipe of the form "how about a little x with your y (whereas y is regularly a part of or accessory to x)"? chocolate slabs with doughy nuggets, ice cream with an actual pie mixed in, silver dollar pancakes in a maple syrup soup, you know, stuff like that. rhode island is famous for milk that's flavored with coffee, what about sugar flavored with coffee?

also, white chocolate, like the rickshaw and the catcher's mask, was invented in worcester county.

also, my "bad idea" cookbook, "found a job" is now available in the periodicals department of the san francisco public library and i wrote you a little note in it.

Posted by Zack at Thu Oct 07 2004 02:08

Jacob's suggestion reminds me of one of my college flatmates and her pancake recipe, which we all referred to as "Apple Chunk Delivery Medium".

Posted by Kristofer Straub at Thu Oct 07 2004 03:41

I thought your recipe was going to be a white chocolate patty with bits of cookie embedded in it.

Posted by Leonard at Thu Oct 07 2004 11:40

Jake, as far as I'm concerned Worcester County has some 'splainin' to do wrt white chocolate, but you singlehandledly make up for it with your clever method of telling me something. I will check it out.

Posted by Leonard at Thu Oct 07 2004 11:43

Also, your recipe ideas are extremely viable. I may try the pie ice cream one, and the coffee-flavored sugar idea is probably already in use somewhere. There is already vanilla sugar (store a vanilla bean with the sugar for a couple months) and cocoa sugar (cocoa bean), so why not coffee sugar (coffee bean)?

Posted by Frances at Thu Oct 07 2004 22:15

I've seen Apple Pie Ice Cream at Baskin Robbins before. Vanilla with chunks of apple pie.

Posted by Brian Danger Hicks at Thu Oct 07 2004 22:34

I don't see why you need cocoa powder to make those cookies, you should just be able to put some chunks (or "chips") of chocolate in the dough, and as the cookie bakes the chocolate should melt and distribute itself throughout the cookie.

Posted by Susie at Thu Oct 07 2004 22:50

I've had key lime pie ice cream at Basking Robbins. I actually think it was white chocolate ice cream, with key lime ribbon and graham cracker.

Posted by Susie at Thu Oct 07 2004 23:00

LEONARD! Put the pictures I scanned and emailed you onto my blog please.

SUMANA: Bug Leonard about putting the pictures up please! =)

Posted by Sumana at Fri Oct 08 2004 13:41

Leonard, if you don't put up Susanna's pictures within a week, I will ask you to come to a comedy show with me. Or possibly a concert.

Posted by Susie at Fri Oct 08 2004 13:44

Ooooh, threats!

Posted by Leonard at Fri Oct 08 2004 20:47

Brian, that would only happen if the chips were very small and evenly distributed throughout the batter to begin with--so small and evenly distributed as to be indistinguishable from particles of cocoa powder and sugar.