< The Five Obstructions
Primer >

[Comments] (6) Oakland Zoo: To answer my own question from earlier I went to the Oakland Zoo with Rachel. The SF zoo has more animals, but in general the animals at the Oakland zoo have better habitats, and it's sunnier. The primate cages at the Oakland zoo are much bigger and have more stuff. I wouldn't want to live in them, but I would if I were a squirrel monkey. (Last time I went to the SF zoo they were doing something to the monkey cages, so hopefully those will be better soon.) The fancy new habitats in SF (the savannah and the lemur habitat) are much better than their counterparts in Oakland.

Animal battle: the Oakland zoo has bats, elephants, alligators, and enormous tortoises. The SF zoo has kangaroos, gorillas, lemurs, and an anteater. The Oakland zoo has a really heavy emphasis on Africa and (to a lesser extent) southeast Asia; the SF zoo has animals from all over.

I don't think I'd ever seen a bat close up before; they're really odd creatures. I had seen approximately 12 million bats fly out of Carlsbad at eventime, but you don't get a good look at any particular bat when that happens. I bought a stuffed bat to hang from the ceiling along with my stuffed pterodactyl.

Number of dumb "Foo at the Zoo" jokes on a single notice board: 3. ("New", "Boo", and "Brew" (?!))

Filed under:

Comments:

Posted by Sean Neakums at Fri Aug 26 2005 04:04

There's nothing like a brewski at the zooski.

Posted by Brendan at Fri Aug 26 2005 09:43

They're doing a similar "Brew at the Zoo" promotion here in Louisville. My understanding is that in the evening, you can buy local brewery products from carts stationed around the zoo.

Giving people alcohol on their way over to the tiger exhibits is the best idea ever.

Posted by Susie at Fri Aug 26 2005 10:33

Even the Hogle Zoo (in Salt Lake) has bats! But most of the habitats there are pretty sad.

Posted by John at Fri Aug 26 2005 11:14

I know I'll get in trouble for saying this, but I actually like the SD Zoo.

Posted by Frances at Fri Aug 26 2005 18:31

John, the San Diego Zoo is so far and above everybody else that it's in its own class. Not even in the running.

I still like the LA Zoo myself, especially since I tend to be somewhat of a botanist. But oh, oh, the London Zoo!

Did anyone see the bit of news that they are going to put humans (clothed in fig leaves) on display in the London Zoo?

Posted by Alyson at Fri Aug 26 2005 22:38

Really, humans! Well, it's about time.

[Main]