Next >

[Comments] (10) : When I was in Boston a while back I went with Kirk to a shop of strange and wonderful things. I bought some presents for various readers of this weblog, which I will dispense when the time is right. I also bought a little flexible plastic doll of Gumby's pony pal Pokey.

This doll is pretty much identical to one I had as a kid, except this one has a URL printed on it.[0] In fact, although the doll is cool on its own (Pokey's four identical skinny legs make him much more posable than the Gumby doll's larger, unevenly sized limbs), nostalgia is the main reason I bought it. I don't buy a whole lot of things because they remind me of my childhood, but I do have several small items that I've kept for over twenty years. Things I wouldn't stop to save during a fire but that I would put low on my list of things to throw away if I had to throw away a bunch of things, even though they're not useful and have no monetary value.

I bring this up because the Pokey purchase made me interested in what things you, my readers, have bought recently for nostalgic reasons. Or, alternatively, what things you hold on to for nostalgic reasons.

I'll do one of each. I still have a rabbit puppet (copyright date on tag 1976) which was not my first stuffed animal, but which was my first non-lame stuffed animal. I had an earlier stuffed rabbit, but it was this ugly orange cartoony thing that I'm sure I loved dearly at the time but not anymore. It's either long gone by now, or else my niece has it. The rabbit puppet resembles a real rabbit, still looks good after 30 years, and in general puppet stuffed animals are better than non-puppets.

[0] It's a strange URL to put on a toy, because the website is aimed at resellers, not the people who buy the toys. What's the use case here? "The store down the street is crushing me with these Pokey dolls! I've got to find out where they come from! Hopefully, they'll have a low minimum order!"

Comments:

Posted by Susie at Tue Mar 10 2009 15:19

I remember your Pokey, and the non-lame puppet. Maggie has no ugly cartoony puppet, but she does have a stuffed yellow rabbit that was mine. Rachel had a similar one, hers was blue and it had a string you pulled to attach its head on tighter (courtesy of my 9-year-old sewing skills). I recently kept a piece of scrapbooking paper because the pattern reminded me of grapes. I have a really tacky hanging bunches of grapes salt and pepper shaker set, too.

Posted by kirkjerk at Tue Mar 10 2009 16:53

Retrogaming tends to be rife with a certain amount of nostalgia. Just Sunday at a swap meet I bought these same "Amiga Powerstick" Atari 2600/C=64 etc controllers I had as a kid... surprisingly comfortable diminutive things, with sticks not much bigger than today's thumbsticks, but with a top you could grip rather than rest your thumb and depend on friction.

A few years ago I bought an Etch-a-Sketch animator... it's 40x30 resolution happened to be the same on I picked for Small Gif Cinema ( http://kirkjerk.com/features/sgc.html ) so I transferred frames of one to it: http://kirkjerk.com/2008/11/02/ (also http://www.kirkjerk.com/2002/04/15/ for a reproduction)

Posted by kirkjerk at Tue Mar 10 2009 16:55

Oh, also I'd add the stores of wonderful things near Harvard Square are "Joie de Vivre" (near Porter Exchange actually, the place w/ all the great Japanese stalls) and "Black Ink" at Harvard Square proper.

Posted by Jeremy Penner at Tue Mar 10 2009 17:13

I'm pretty sure it's not entirely nostalgia that leads me to collect game consoles and computers, but it's definitely on the list.

I've held on to a number of my old children's books, which my son will be able to read in a couple of years. That feels pretty cool.

Posted by John at Tue Mar 10 2009 18:37

Whenever I find old books and shows my sister and I used to peruse as kids, I normally buy them. Hence the Rankin-Bass, Charlie Brown, and Calvin & Hobbes collections.

Posted by rachel at Tue Mar 10 2009 19:39

they call him red............ I remember that blue rabbit!

Posted by Susie at Tue Mar 10 2009 19:48

he is the sheriff... I think I'll be singing that all night now. =P

Posted by Brendan at Tue Mar 10 2009 22:39

I lugged about 200 pounds of drums across the country for largely nostalgic reasons.

Posted by Zed at Wed Mar 11 2009 12:03

A few months ago, I bought the Schoolhouse Rock DVD.

Posted by Holly at Wed Mar 11 2009 15:11

I buy exorbitantly-priced Australian chocolate biscuits for reasons of nostalgia. And deliciousness. Nostalgic deliciousness.