Tue Dec 29 2009 21:00 Nostalgiathon 2009: Best of Weblogs:
Gaze with me into the mists of OPML... these are the weblogs I'm happiest I subscribed to in 2009. Again, not as many as in 2008.
- Sisoid's Blog of Geekery, featuring obsessive reviews of comic books and Star Trek ephemera. For instance, did you know that Cremaster 3 is not just a ripoff of Donkey Kong, it's a ripoff of an old Conan the Barbarian comic? Conan? Conan!
- The Daisy Owl web comic.
- The Geek Feminism Blog, now with extra Sumana.
- The Physics arXiv Blog.
- Two game-related weblogs: Hardcore Gaming 101 and
- Objectively speaking, Baking Bites needs to be on this list, even though I'm not sure when I subscribed to it. Pretty much every recipe on that site is something I want to make, and often I do make it, to great acclaim.
- One of my goals in 2009 was to seriously learn about the pop culture
of the 1970s, instead of dismissing it as an era covered in fake wood
paneling and drenched in canola oil. My Retrospace has
done... something to inform me about this time. I can't say I agree
with the writer's conviction that the 1970s were the pinnacle of pop
culture, but it's always good to read people with whom you disagree.
- Twitter update! So many people started using Twitter and Identica this year
(even Sumana!) that my anti-Twitter
position seems more William F. Buckley-esque by the day. I now
subscribe to several Twitter feeds and it's possible that in the
coming year I will even post. If nothing else, it seems like
the simplest way to have a conversation with Kris.
When "...Awesome Dinosaurs" was published I started searching Twitter for the phrase "awesome dinosaurs" to find people talking about the story, and I never stopped. The story talk died out months ago, but now it's a never-ending celebration of dinosaurs and their awesomeness.
|Unless otherwise noted, all content licensed by Leonard Richardson|
under a Creative Commons License.