< Worst Best Picture
Beautiful Soup 4.0.1 >

[Comments] (7) Constellation Games Author Commentary #16: "False Daylight": Here it is, the season finale! We've got the whole contact mission going to shit, plus a game review! Don't worry, everything will turn out fine. Maybe.

Last Friday I went to the Brooklyn Museum to take some pictures for my final Constellation Games commentary. (And if you can somehow turn that into a spoiler, I salute you.) It's a fun museum, like a much less formal version of the Met. While walking through the room of Indian sculpture I passed a curator cleaning one of the sculptures with a Shop Vac and a brush. When I showed a flinch of uncertainty about where the stairwell was, a security guard told me and talked my ear off about what I should see next, then opened up the cabinet containing the emergency fire hose and took out a "What's Happening" brochure, which she used for reference and then gave to me. Also, the neighboring Botanic Garden was free to get in because it's winter and everything's dead.

Friend of the show and beta reader Brendan Adkins has been writing erudite-ass essays about the novel's symbolism, and I'd make fun of him for being pretentious except he's right about most of it. My earlier coyness notwithstanding, I did reuse some of the character of Ariel from The Tempest, the guy with magic powers who gets bossed around all the time. Don't you think The Tempest would be more interesting if it were more about the PEOPLE WITH MAGIC POWERS and less about the Renaissance douchebags? We can only dream. For now, we sup the slender soup of the Twitter archive and this week's commentary:

With that, I'd like to thank you for following me through "Hardware", the first part of Constellation Games. After a short season break of seven days, we'll pick up with Part Two, "Software." It all starts next Tuesday, when Ariel will say, "Probably the most expensive penis in history."

Image credits: Wikimedia Commons user Anynobody, Paul Mutant, U.S. Air Force

← Last week | Next week →

Filed under:

Comments:

Posted by Sean B at Tue Mar 13 2012 09:45

This book is some of the most fun I've had in years: thank you for writing it.

Posted by Leonard at Tue Mar 13 2012 10:37

Glad you're liking it!

Posted by Brendan at Wed Mar 14 2012 13:44

I should note that, as a good critic, I don't actually care if you think I'm right.

Posted by Leonard at Wed Mar 14 2012 15:20

That's a really pretentious thing to say.

Posted by Jeanne at Wed Mar 14 2012 16:37

I've dug this book 100% throughout, but this chapter is STONE COLD BRILLIANT. "That was the shopkeeper" is only the smallest gem in this diadem (is that a legit image? Do diadems typically have like, a lot of gems? Maybe the smallest gem in your Tower of London.) Hell of looking forward to rereading this thing all at once when the physical book is in.

Posted by Zack at Thu Mar 15 2012 17:44

I get that the Constellation isn't terribly good at handling humans' batshit insane politics, but I don't actually find the ice-sheet-removal technique all that plausible: how is less ice in Antarctica (replaced by some other surface of equivalent albedo) going to do a damn thing to the climate? It _might_ mitigate ocean-level rise, but ocean-level rise is only one of a host of problems caused by elevated CO2... Also, it seems to me that Save The Humans could've just parked a bunch of those kites over the oceans, away from shipping routes, and there's a decent chance nobody would ever notice.

Posted by Leonard at Thu Mar 15 2012 20:41

Jeanne, I don't have anything specific to say in response to you, but it really makes my day when people tell me they liked the book!

Zach, hopefully your concerns will be addressed later on. Basically, the two major overlays have achieved consensus about dealing with the sea level rise (because that screws up both their plans), but there's no consensus about the other problems. I will admit it's not the strongest link in the plot.

If there were kites parked over the oceans, satellites would see them easily. But keep worrying about this.