Jabberwocky for 2004 October 31 (entry 1)

< Oops
Accomplishment >

[Comments] (7) Samhain: I love Halloween! It's not quite as fun, however, if you don't have little kids. I'm not dressing up this year because it's Sunday and I have nowhere to go. Next year, if the creek don't rise, I can dress up for work. I was going to go to the Trunk or Treat at the church on Wednesday, but by the time I was through being sick that evening it was almost over so I stayed home.

I don't have a pumpkin either, no little kids to carve it with. But I have put lights in my little ceramic haunted house and ceramic jack-o-lantern. I made both of these years and years ago. I put them on a plant stand in front of the living room opening, so they can be seen when I answer the door. Gretel always enjoys waiting on the trick-or-treaters, but I think Sadie is going to have to spend the evening in her box.

I did try to sell the haunted house and pumpkin at my garage sale but nobody was buying. They did buy a bunch of Halloween stuff, but not that. Man, I have so many t-h-i-n-g-s.

Comments:

Posted by Susie at Mon Nov 01 2004 11:43

This is why we spent Halloween with the kids. Although we did draw faces on some tiny pumpkins for Halloween. And, everyone trick-or-treated on Saturday here. Maybe I will want your ceramic haunted house.

Posted by Rachel at Mon Nov 01 2004 13:19

Did you get any cute ones?

Posted by Kristen at Mon Nov 01 2004 15:18

So in Cal the kids came on Sunday right? Any on Sat?

Posted by Frances at Mon Nov 01 2004 16:23

Nobody on Saturday. All the LDS kids (that I know of) had to do without trick or treating this year because of Sunday. But the YM/YW put on the trunk or treat at the church on Wednesday so they weren't deprived. Sunday was the holiday, after all.

They were all so darling!

Posted by Alyson at Mon Nov 01 2004 16:45

We didn't get a single trick-or-treater on either night. Of course, there was a big party downtown on Sunday, and we might not have had any visitors because we live on a street with apartments and duplexes. Not an ideal place to trick-or-treat.

Posted by John at Mon Nov 01 2004 17:21

That still surprises me that no one came on Saturday. I heard of lots of places (yes, outside of Utah) who went trick-or-treating on Saturday. Their rationale is that Sunday night is like a school night, so Saturday night is easier.

I am, however, not surprised that no one came to your house, Alyson. I have never evevn seen people trick-or-treating in the "Provo ghetto." Maybe it has something to do with apartment complexes. That's why this year we went to SLC, so we could actually take part in Halloween.

Posted by Frances at Mon Nov 01 2004 18:25

I guess people think that students will give out only cheap candy. Well, they don't know me, do they? A lot of my neighbors had their houses dark and were either not home or pretending not to be. Party Poopers.

© 2001-2006 Frances Whitney.