Sunny 9 for 2009 November 17 (entry 0)

< Burr, it's cold in here
On death and dying >

[Comments] (5) for your eyes only: So last week, I tried to write a health care post about my health care of all things. A couple hours after I had posted it, my brain reflected on it and I just about died inside to think I just shared with the world my IUD problems. I quickly got to a computer and deleted it and spent the rest of the night feeling sheepish and wondering if anyone had already read my open book life.

Today, I will give it a go again, yet this time about Gunnar and with much less TMI. Gunnar's health care. My poor little baby Gunnar. I adore this little boy. I could eat him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and still snack on him throughout the day. Gunnar is and will always be my baby. This little guy went in for his "6 month" ophthalmologist appt. He was actually a few months overdue for a proper one since the past two were right before the move and right after the move and weren't proper appointments at all. We finally got the full blown appt out of the way and have been given two official diagnoses. First, our suspicions are correct. Gunnar has intermittent exotropia. Basically, one eye wanders when he is tired or not on his A game or zoned out. He can have surgery to correct it, but it really isn't too bad yet and the Dr and I both agreed that it is something to look into when he is older like 6 or 7 when "kids start making fun of his eyes in school" as the Dr put it, since his condition is very mild right now. Kids are so mean! And they probably will make fun of him, so when he is older and if it gets worse we will look into that, but for now he is ok. Just ignore his wandering eyes if you speak with him face to face and he zones out.

Secondly, his nearsightedness is now a raging -6.50 in both eyes. A whole 1.25 higher than last dilation. He's legally blind, but with his glasses he has near perfect vision, and it is very correctable with surgery if he chooses to get lasik when he is older. All in all, it is nothing serious. He is a happy, healthy boy. Sometimes, as his mother, I wished my body had been able to make his body more perfect, but there my vanity goes thinking I am responsible for creating my beautiful children. They are Heavenly Father's children and he is just letting me borrow them to discover tremendous happiness, and just a touch of torture.

But, there it is. Gunnar's health update. He is turning 3 in exactly 2 weeks so I better get onto making his well baby check up. Then we shall see how much this boy has g r o w n!

Comments:

Posted by Lyssa at Wed Nov 18 2009 12:27

Kids are so mean! I hate it!
So my sister got some really cute rain boots at Marshalls a month ago or so. They were really cute!
Gunnar will be fine. Glad that it is nothing serious!

Posted by Alyson at Wed Nov 18 2009 12:49

"Just a touch of torture" is no joke.

Posted by Joe Walch at Thu Nov 19 2009 15:25

Sorry about Gunnar, it's too bad about his eyesight. I suspected all along that he had a lazy eye, but I guess it's better for Doctors to not to jump the gun when it's possible that it resolves itself.

Also, make sure you ask the doctor about patching or using eye drops to help strengthen the lazy eye (often, one eye becomes dominant in people, and in Lazy eyes the brain stops "paying attention" to the information from the lazy eye and the nerves are simply trimmed back and die). If you use an eye patch, depending on the type of lazy eye, the brain is able to learn how to use the bad eye and not much harm is done.

I've been in a couple dozen pediatric exotropia correction surgeries, and they could be good, but right now, the doc's right in that it's like trying to shoot a moving target.

Also, as far as Lasik--I wouldn't recommend it at all. Look into Implantable Collamer Lenses (ICL) that can be switched out if the prescription changes and is totally reversible. With Gunnar's prescription (-6.5 D) they will have to shave off so much corneal stroma that his cornea will be left so thin that it will be succeptible to damage and other possible complications like decreased IO pressure and retinal tearing. There are plenty of Lasik docs that will take your money (and who will recommend Lasik over ICL because they have to pay overhead on that million-dollar machine), but ICLs (Visian and STAAR) are much better. I can find you a Doctor if you'd like. I saw a few cases--all with >8 Diopters who had 20/20-20/30 resolution after ICL surgery (which is quicker and much less traumatic than Lasik).

Posted by Joe Walch at Thu Nov 19 2009 15:31

Posted by Joe Walch at Thu Nov 19 2009 15:34

Also, check out this site:

and this site about pediatric lazy eye nearsighted correction:

There's a huge difference in ICL vs. Lasik for somebody like Gunnar.

© 2003-2009 Kristen Smith.