< Hmm
Laundry >

[Comments] (9) Michael Moore: I went to go see Michael Moore at USC yesterday. It was very interesting, amusing and in some parts sad. He tossed out ramen to people who didn’t vote in the last election who pledge vote in this one, warning about the danger of thinking California is a blue sate anyway, so one doesn’t have to bother to vote—“remember the mess you ended up with last year,” showed 30 seconds ads that were parodies of the swift boat ads (“58,000 Americans died in Vietnam. John Kerry wasn’t one of them. If he truly loved America, he would have died. Vote Bush.”), and invited the protestors to sign up for the army (“they don’t want to go? of course not! They’d rather send the kids three blocks south of here!”) There were a bunch of Bushies there with signs and air horns, very obnoxious and particularly disrespectful while a guest speaker was talking about his brother who died in Iraq—at least I think, I couldn’t hear much over the air horn. Anyway, I’m sure most conservatives are polite &c and not like that at all, so I would hate to think I’m making some generalizing statement about conservatives being rude and disrespectful. But, as Michael Moore said, at least we distracted them for three hours when they should have been out knocking on doors and making phone calls. It’s more Bush himself I am worried about. The idea of what he could do with four more years of presidency (the Bushies’ chant of “four more years” can be easily morphed into “four more wars”) that terrifies me. I’m thinking of going to Las Vegas next week with a busload of students to campaign for Kerry.

I’m not trying to start yet another political debate here, I’m just talking about what’s going on in my life. Which is what this weblog is about—my life. I really, really don’t want to deal with getting buried under an avalanche of angry or snarky comments from conservatives, and if I knew how to run comments off for the entry I would. So please, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

Comments:

Posted by Becca at Fri Oct 15 2004 16:05

I think you're dumb! How's that for nice? Well, not really, but I'm bad a following directions.

Posted by Sumana at Fri Oct 15 2004 16:35

You can ask Leonard to upgrade your installation of Newsbruiser and then you could selectively turn comments on and off for specific entries.

However, I'd appreciate it personally if you'd mostly leave comments on, even for your more political posts, because most of the dialogue I've seen on the Crummy message boards has been polite and fruitful.

I personally don't want to deal with comment spam nor moderate my message boards and so for the moment my weblog has no comments at all, but if you don't feel that way then I'd personally appreciate it if you'd just select which entries get a conversation.

Posted by Susie at Fri Oct 15 2004 18:23

I think that anyone who goes to a political rally or whatever for the sole purpose of being rude and shouting out against what is being spoken, that's really lame. They really should be out making phone calls, or stuffing envelopes if they want to help "their" side. What a waste of everyone's time.

Posted by Joe at Fri Oct 15 2004 20:17

I think that it is grea that you are going to LV. I think that hecklers are always going to be a part of the polis, and I hope that we always are free to heckel. I do however think that there should be respect and honesty in dialogue.

I love going to conventions and seeing real change happen. Most change however happens in the quiet as Susie said. I have had good experiences calling up the offices of representatives and senators of both parites in order to promote particular issues. I have been most impressed with Jim Matheson D-UT because of his honesty and candor, and the way he would work to represent me (even though I am not of his district).

As a Bushie, I also think that it would be disingenuous to dismiss Senator Kerry's valid points. People often vote according to the group with which they identify themselves though, and I think that we should spend more time understanding arguments then they spend hating this or that group.

If we don't pay attention to what they are saying, then it will always just come down to who has the most money (for propagating themes) and friends (which Bush interestingly is very good at for better or worse).

It is good to talk a little bit about important things. Lets keep it up and not take flight from our communi(cation)ty.
A Pox upon Hate Mailers!!!

Posted by Jon at Sun Oct 17 2004 12:51

Sounds like there is a VERY JEALOUS becca out there.

Posted by Susie at Mon Oct 18 2004 13:30

What do you mean "California is a blue s(t)ate" and the mess last year?

Did you get Ramen? You weren't old enough to vote last election.

Posted by rachel at Mon Oct 18 2004 14:02

California is a blue state means it (usually) votes democratic. Utah is a red state. The mess last year is refering to our current governer. And no, I didn't get ramen. I don't like ramen anyway :)

Posted by Susie at Mon Oct 18 2004 16:02

Ok, that was what I thought (the governor). Well, that was what John thought. I read too fast and thought it was referring to Florida.

Posted by Kristen at Tue Oct 19 2004 19:41

Hey! Aaron and I are going to Las Vegas this weekend to to help the Bush Campaign. He is going to be knocking doors and on the phone. I will be taking care of Lily. I wanted to go b/c I didn't want to be home alone again for another weekend. Aaron is going b/c he has to do 20 hours community service for the elections for his Am Heritage class. Maybe I will see you there.

© 2002-2010 Rachel Richardson.