< I wrote 50,000 words in 30 days and all I got were these lousy 50,000 words
In which Rachel is a genius >

[Comments] (22) A quick poll about some novel things: Thanks to all my lovely supporters. I am feeling much better and my room is amazingly a lot cleaner than it was all month. I went back to work today and am going again tomorrow, than off to LA where they have missed me sorely.

Some opinons are needed in the following:

I've got my novel up to just where they leave off on the retreat. Once the retreat (7 weeks of bad conditions) is over my love-birds are separated until the end of the war and near the end of the book, and, since it is from Emma's POV, it becomes a women-on-her-own type narrative. Who knows what path the book will take.

How long of a break I should take before I start up again?:

none at all! get cracking (or remain cracking, as the case may be)
a day, and pick it back up tomorrow
three or four days
a week

I think it's a wise idea to stop, type up what I have written, revising as I go, and filling in the things I left blank (names etc) and researching the comments and queries I wrote to myself in the margins. Then, I'll have a better idea of the novel in general, and I'll also be able to write a better, more detailed outline that will help with writing the last part. Should I do this:

Before I write the retreat (Pros: I'll have a much more clear idea of the overall picture and also the specifics ie in outline form--I've done a lot of research on this particular part already; it was, after all, the founding idea of the story.)
After I write the retreat and reach the official end of Part I (Pros: I'll still be in writewritewriteasfastasIcan mode)

I have another poll about which of Emma's close friends I should kill off, but I'll type that up later. And extra thanks to Becca who gave me the idea of having a poll.

Comments:

Posted by Brendan at Thu Dec 02 2004 03:57

I am personally biased toward "no breaks," because neurosis loves company.

Posted by Becca at Thu Dec 02 2004 06:21

I vote that the "love birds" don't ever get to be together again as one dies horribly from feric posioning and the other from, uh, something horrible like boils all over their body that all explode and they run out of fluids.

And I vote you take threeish days off.

Posted by Rachel at Thu Dec 02 2004 06:46

That's a great idea, Becca, you should use it in yours.

I am breaking out in boils for some reason. My mom says its a side effect of the flu but I think it might be the plague.

Posted by Becca at Thu Dec 02 2004 06:59

There are no love bird to kill off in my story. But if there were, I probably would kill them off.

Posted by Chris at Thu Dec 02 2004 07:02

Take about a week off and then pick up the story where Emma meets a character based off of me. He of course is everything she could ask for and so it's a happy ending, until he gets decapitated or something. Sounds like an interesting plot twist....

Posted by Susie at Thu Dec 02 2004 17:58

I vote for threeish days off. I also vote for typing it up, but not doing extensive rewriting before continuing on. That way you know where you're at, but you're not losing your focus.

Posted by Sumana at Thu Dec 02 2004 17:59

No plot suggestions. My process suggestion: NO BREAKS! Momentum is everything. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041128/ESSAYS/41128001: Roger Ebert says, "The Muse visits during the work, not before it."

Posted by Leonard at Thu Dec 02 2004 18:15

As per our previous conversation on this topic, I still think you should have your characters encounter the rare Balkan dinosaur.

Posted by Leonard at Thu Dec 02 2004 18:22

Even if you don't take my dinosaur advice, I say you keep writing until you reach the end. If you rewrite stuff before you're done you'll never finish. That's why it took me so long to write my novel.

Posted by Becca at Thu Dec 02 2004 18:53

Chris, how about shell shrapnel through the face? That sounds like a good ending for your character to me! Maybe in the end of mine I'll just kill everybody off so I don't have to think of a way to end it.

Posted by Frances at Thu Dec 02 2004 20:55

You and Bill Shakespeare, Becca!

Posted by Pooca at Thu Dec 02 2004 21:05

As I am the one who shall be editing this thing, I think you should stop and type and research before you go on. It is important to know where you are going, and more about your book--also, perhaps by the time you've finished going over everything you'll have a better idea of where you want to go. If you are just writing in circles until you get inspired, the reader (aka me) will be able to tell. I think you should break with the writing but crack down on the editing--it seems to be the wisest choice.

Posted by Sumana at Thu Dec 02 2004 21:32

Once you have the writing momentum, KEEP WRITING. It is easier to take out rambling later than it is to restart momentum once you have lost it. Let editors edit. Do not worry about making their jobs harder. You are the writer. Write!

Posted by Frances at Fri Dec 03 2004 00:35

DO NOT EDIT until the rough draft is finished. Didn't we just discuss Jeannette?

Posted by Becca at Fri Dec 03 2004 01:03

Yes, but for Shakespear, killing off everybody is the ending. As in, there is build up to it and all that stuff. If I did it, they would be walking along to some unimportant town, and would get waylaid and sniped at from the trees by bowmen and all die.

Posted by Pooca at Fri Dec 03 2004 21:03

>> It is easier to take out rambling later than it is to restart momentum once you have lost it.

Not true at all. If this happens, you'll get stuck in rewrites and never get it done. This comes from a writer, remember? You'll get bogged down and confused as to what you want. You need a clear focus, otherwise it'll never go anywhere. Case in point: HPPE. I had no focus--has it ever gotten done?

Posted by Rachel at Fri Dec 03 2004 21:44

Well... I read the comments and think to myself, "Now, I've got self-discpline, I'll be able to have a break or edit or do whatever and be able to pick right up where I left off anytime, whenever! I'm not the kind of person who goes on and on about wanting to write without ever doing anything about it anymore." And then a voice is echoing in my head.... "I've changed, Luke, really I have! I'm a completley different person now!" said Becky before she went out shopping in Milan and bought a 2,000 euro purse.

Ok. Maybe not. I'll just plow through. I mean, I've already got a huge mess, and finishing isn't going to *change* that... It'll just be a *longer* big mess. Besides, I had a long brainstorm while I was vaccuming the bookstore and I think I came up with some really good ideas, plus I had a small ephiany in the bathtub the other night.

No one has to worry, though; I won't show it it anyone before the second draft. As for the motivation to re-write, well... I'll find it somewhere. There's always NanoEDmo, in March.

Posted by Alyson at Tue Dec 07 2004 02:55

Baths are wonderful!

Posted by John at Tue Dec 07 2004 16:18

I think the book should turn into a choose your own adventure type from here on out.

Posted by Susie at Tue Dec 07 2004 22:59

I love those!

Posted by Frances at Wed Dec 08 2004 03:05

Believe me. None of the adventures people had during this war are fun things you would actually choose.

Posted by Becca at Wed Dec 08 2004 06:39

My story is sort of a choose your own adventure! Er, I mean book/novel thing. Although they haven't really got to the adventuring part yet, but hopefully they will soon! Can it really be considered a book if I'm never going to make it a book? But if I call mine a story, I keep calling Rach's a story, and its not. Oh well.

© 2002-2010 Rachel Richardson.