# (3) 20 Oct 2009, 05:51PM: Collabora Open Source Development Overview, 4-20 October 2009: Collabora, my company, does open source development. We don't just build on top of open source frameworks; every day, Collabora developers are hacking in the open on multiple projects.
I decided to blog about some of what we've done in the last couple of weeks.
First, our flagship project, Telepathy:
- David Laban's new echobot helps test text and audio chat in Empathy.
- Mike Ruprecht got the telepathy-haze connection manager to do audio-video calls successfully; people on more and more networks and protocols will be able to use Empathy for audio and video chat.
- Andres Salomon backported Empathy to debian-stable (lenny).
- Will Thompson, Rob McQueen, and Sjoerd Simons drafted a Telepathy spec for encrypted channels and how that works for off-the-record conversations.
- Siraj Razick, Simon McVittie, and Dariusz Mikulski worked on cleaning up some Telepathy-on-Windows code; Dariusz is making sure the contributions the RealXtend developers have made can make it upstream.
- In the oFono world, Olivier Lê Thanh Duong shepherded an oFono patch through, and Andres uploaded oFono 0.8 for Debian.
- Jonny Lamb uploaded new Debian packages of Empathy and telepathy-gabble (Telepathy's Jabber/XMPP connection manager, which can handle single- and multi-user chats and voice/video calls), in addition to lots of other Empathy work.
- Vivek Dasmohapatra worked on telepathy-gabble and wocky (XMPP library).
- And several Telepathy components saw new releases:
- Empathy 2.28.1. Many fixes and updated translations.
- telepathy-gabble 0.8.6 and 0.8.7. Improvements in the stable branch.
- papyon release 0.4.3. Bugfixes in the library behind telepathy-butterfly, Telepathy's MSN connection manager.
- telepathy-butterfly 0.5.2. Adds support for chatting with contacts who are offline, or who have marked themselves invisible.
- telepathy-qt4 0.1.11. New API, API changes, enhancements and fixes to Telepathy's high-level binding for Qt 4.
- telepathy-glib 0.9.1 and 0.8.1. Bugfixes for Telepathy's GObject binding, unstable & stable branches respectively.
- telepathy-farsight 0.0.12. Bugfixes in the Farstream library that Empathy uses.
- Will hacked together a proof-of-concept for showing ongoing conversations in the Gnome Shell.
- Gabriel Millaire has started implementing SRTP support in GStreamer (with guidance from Olivier Crête and a little advice from Sjoerd Simons).
- Abner Silva got contact list group support and file transfer in Kopete, the KDE chat client, merged to upstream.
- Helio Chissini de Castro did a few Qt and KDE patches and fixes, Gustavo Noronha did a great deal of WebKitGTK+ and GNOME Shell hacking and packaging work, and Thomas Thurman worked on CSS-on-window-borders in Metacity.
Collabora also encourages its staffers to go to conferences to talk about open source. Last weekend, participants in the GNOME Boston Summit and the Amsterdam Maemo Summit led several discussions (Marco Barisione's Telepathy on Maemo slides are especially valuable).
Sorry to those I left out or didn't link. This list is obsolete even as I hit Post...