< Long Weekend
Next >

[Comments] (8) Long Weekend: Well, we're home, and even though it should feel earlier than the time thinks it is, I'm exhausted. we had a lot of fun and a lot of food. I went to a baby shower, a double birthday party and an Easter Egg Hunt (which John and I got to participate in). Not to mention all the tickle fights, games of tag and red light/ green light, etc that go on with all those kiddlets around.

Here is my yummy Beef Stroganoff easy version recipe:

1 lb. ground beef
Brown beef and remove from pan.

3 T butter
1 c. chopped onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 lb. fresh sliced mushrooms
Cook in butter until onion is golden.

Add and stir until smooth:
3 T flour
1 T ketchup
1/2 t. salt
1/8 pepper

Gradually add 1 can beef broth. Bring to a boil. Simmer on low 5 minutes. Add 1/4 t. dill and 1 1/2 c. sour cream (I don't use that much).  Stir. Add beef. Simmer just until hot.

Comments:

Posted by Kristen at Mon Apr 05 2004 12:50

That is an interesting way to make it. Since I didn't get to see it before now, (Monday) yesterday Aaron made it by taste by putting in cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, onion, garlic, s&p, a splash or woreschester sauce sp?, and stew beek meat. It was so yummy, I had to bring left overs for lunch today.

Posted by Cooking Lesson at Mon Apr 05 2004 13:31

Lots of people make stuff with cream of mushroom soup, but it's always better to use a brown sauce (made with beef stock or chicken broth, depending), or a white sauce (made with milk). Doesn't take any more time, and no chemicals in the food! Also, if you thicken the sauce with a roux of flour and butter, it's even yummier. And fresh mushrooms. Congrats to Aaron for being Cookboy!

Posted by anonymous at Mon Apr 05 2004 15:16

Aaron's a great cook...now the beef stock and chicken broth, do you get that with the bollion cubes? or the paste? I am guessing that was Frances that posted that comment, right?

Posted by bossy Frances at Mon Apr 05 2004 16:36

In cans. Or homemade.

Posted by Susie at Mon Apr 05 2004 20:48

I use cans too, but probably just cause my Mom does.

Posted by Alyson at Tue Apr 06 2004 05:51

I used paste for the longest time, but the stuff is so full of sodium and preservatives. I actually use boxes of stock now, and always Pacific brand.

Posted by Kristen at Tue Apr 06 2004 11:19

I used to use the paste too, but it is a hassle. I have never bought the cans before but I will try that out. And Frances, you're not bossy.

Posted by Susie at Wed Apr 07 2004 20:12

Oh, Mom uses the boxes, I don't think I've seen them here. We used the paste at the Cannon Center. Giant spoonfuls of it.

© 1999-2011 Susanna Chadwick.