< Merry Christmas, Everyone
Year End Fun >

[Comments] (6) Christmas: Three Days Slow: We just got home from the hospital (pictures here) and apparently Santa came while we were gone (pictures here). He laid out our stockings and stuffed them with goodies, did the dishes and the laundry (John). He took out our trash and recycling bins (friend from the ward). He cleaned our driveway and steps of a foot of snow and left dinner in our fridge (Brook, Erin, Logan and Ember). Thanks everyone!

Maggie got a Snoopy toothbrush and some baby puffs in her stocking. She was thrilled. My stocking and John's were overflowing with sugary goodness and other fun stuff. He gave me running shoes, Breaking Dawn, two family DVDs and a Sudoku book. I gave him some new clothes for work (and an elliptical of course). Leonard and Sumana sent us $ for Maggie's college fund, a child carrier for hiking (woo hoo!) and a Meet the Letters DVD. Jodi and Franco got us a gift card for dinner and a movie (and free babysitting of course). Can't wait to use that! Maggie also got bath books, felt food, two accessory sets for Mr. Potato Head and a book and a darling outfit from Pat and Alan. Grandma and Grandpa got her a baby doll (Our first attempt to supplement the boy hand-me-down toys) and $10. Chad (ok, Jamie) gave Maggie jeans that light up and little patent leather church shoes. No more sneakers to church.

Maggie is downstairs playing with Mr. Potato Head and watching Meet the Letters. It's hard to say which of those is her new favorite (the doll went home from the hospital with Grandma and Grandpa). Put I think I'll put my money on mini-Piglet who hardly left her fist during the hospital stay.

Comments:

Posted by Rachel at Sun Dec 28 2008 03:29

glad things were nice for you to come home to! also glad that the royal mail santa came as well... I thought you were pretending that Breaking Dawn doesn't exist?

Posted by Susie at Sun Dec 28 2008 07:48

I decided I like it more after thinking about it. I read it again and it was better the second time.

Posted by John at Sun Dec 28 2008 09:20

I told Susie it was my favorite (because it was the only book of the series not uber-predictable) so I think she decided to give it another chance.

I didn't care that it was a happy ending, because I think, either by accident or otherwise, the books tell of Mormon theology, on a very high level. Immortality and raising children as the beginning, not the end, being a major theme.

Posted by Rachel at Sun Dec 28 2008 14:41

I thought it was predictable, in that 'oh my gosh, please tell me THAT'S not going to happen -- and then it does' way. I agree about immortality and that, but what about free choice? no one, except Bella, made the choice to become immortal, and then there's the whole imprinting thing...

Posted by John at Sun Dec 28 2008 17:29

Rachel: I disagree about the predictability. Who would have thought from page one that Bella would get married so quickly, would have a baby, would confide in Charley about her "secret" etc. And I couldn't predict how the Volturi meeting would go. The only predictable thing to me was Alice. Everyone thought she left, which is so ridiculous. Of course she was coming back.

As far as imprinting goes, well, a lot of Mormons believe in true love as finding someone a promised someone from a premortal life. I don't believe that, but "Saturday's Warrior" has led far too many Mormons to believe it.

As far as the others not choosing the life, true. But this is Bella's story, and Meyers is no CS Lewis, so the idea of it being a Mormon story does not hold up on multiple levels.

This article explains it better: http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/2008/11/now-a-glorious-dawn-is-breaking/#more-4884

Posted by Kristen at Mon Dec 29 2008 19:53

Glad Maggie is home safe and well. And thank you for reminding me how grateful I am not to have to shovel snow. Don't miss that. As for Breaking Dawn, I liked it. Granted I find the whole series laughable and I think they should be about half as long yet, I liked it enough to read all 4. I thought the whole honeymoon story and her getting pregnant and the whole food craving thing was soooo uncomfortable and silly, but after that, I liked it alright.

© 1999-2011 Susanna Chadwick.