Jabberwocky for 2005 August

<M <Y
Y> M>

There and Back Again: I'm back from the vacation of a lifetime. Absolutely exhausted. Travelogue to follow.

[Comments] (4) Why Being a Teacher is So Hard: A teacher has an opportunity to get to know many students, and over the years the numbers add up. I always look in the paper to find news of former students.

Usually, the news is not good. They got stabbed in a gang fight or arrested for robbery. Very occasionally, the news will be something positive, but more often, it's an obituary.

Now I read about the funeral of Alexis Burch. She flipped her car off Alfred Harrell Highway and went sailing over the cliff to land on China Grade Loop. I can't even imagine how horrible.

Alexis was my student when she was in the seventh grade, and she was a lovely young lady--beautiful and intelligent and not a bit of trouble. May she rest in peace.

[Comments] (1) Uh-oh: The Lost and Found ads today listed a 5 bedroom double wide mobile home, missing from the truck stop in Lebec. Huh? How does one steal a 5 bedroom double wide mobile home? And did they steal the truck it was on too? There must have been two trucks, if it was a double wide. Weird.

[Comments] (2) Pizza: I made a pizza tonight-- garden style. From the garden, I used peppers, tomatoes, basil and oregano. I put the fresh herb leaves on whole--was a little worried about how they would cook up, but they were wonderful. I sliced the tomatoes and put them in a strainer to drain so they wouldn't make the pizza soggy. Worked fine. On my half I put a sliced onion, separated into rings. Only on my half because Rachel dislikes my beloved vegetable. I used both Cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Somehow I think they probably don't use Cheddar in Italy.

I would have put mushrooms and artichokes on, but didn't have any. Gosh, it turned out delicious!

[Comments] (2) Orange Chicken: I made orange chicken for lunch today; it was really good. I have discovered the best way to make chicken scaloppini is to butterfly the chicken breast through the thick part and then hit it with a skillet to flatten it. If I sharpen my chef's knife really well before making the cut it works fine.

I sauteed a couple of cloves of garlic, a shallot, and the leaves stripped from a handful of fresh thyme in butter, then turned down the heat and added the flour-dredged chicken.

Once the chicken was browned, I removed it and deglazed the pan with sherry, adding the grated rind of one orange. Leonard gave me a wonderful grater for my birthday, like a file, and it works like a charm for zesting lemons and oranges. Then I made a sauce of the pan drippings, chicken broth, and the juice of the orange with cornstarch.

It was really good, I tell you!

Recovering (Slowly): It's been a week since coming home from vacation, and I am still dragging. I spend a lot of time just sleeping. It's been too hot to work in the garden. I've been writing a travelogue of the trip, but it's slow going. I feel like everything in my life has slowed to a crawl.

Today I'm making some lentils, so I hope they will give me a shot in the arm.

[Comments] (7) Dinotopia!: Ever since Leonard was a very small boy, we have wanted to visit Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta, Canada. This summer we finally made it happen. I wish we had gone twenty years earlier when I could still hike, but we had a wonderful time.

My trip began Thursday, July 28, 2005, with me waiting all morning for the pharmacy to deliver my TPN. They took their sweet time about it, but I couldn’t very well take off without it, so I waited until about 12:30 p.m. when they delivered it. I packed up the cooler and took off, dropping Gretel at American Dog Obedience on the way. She cried when I left her, but I know she has fun with the other dogs after I am gone.

I drove to San Francisco without incident. I did stop at Casa de Fruita for gas. I know it’s tacky, but I was running low. Casa de Fruita is a shameless tourist trap, which also features Casa de Wine, Casa de RV Park, Casa de Burger, etc. The gas station used to be Casa de Shell, but it’s a Chevron now, and, mercifully, Chevron has not bought into the Casa de Nonsense.

When I got to Leonard’s house, they were waiting dinner on me, and Lisa Schile was there. It was great to see her; I haven’t talked to her since she was in high school. She is a biologist now, doing wetlands research. Leonard make Steak Poivere, which was awesome.

After Lisa left, we all turned in and I slept very late the next morning.

Our plane didn’t leave until afternoon, which was a nice thing for the morning, but a bad thing for the evening. We checked the big cooler full of TPN, but it was overweight and we had to pay $25.00. Next time we’ll know to maybe bring two lighter coolers. The first thing that happened was I threw up on the only sweatshirt I had brought (my BYU one.) I cleaned it off as best I could in the airplane bathroom, but luckily I only had to wear it one other day –in Glacier, and on the trip home. Changing planes at the Denver airport was a mixed up nightmare. Something–I don’t know what–was going on and the airline personnel weren’t coping. We almost missed our flight to Bozeman, Montana, which they didn’t even announce. In a frantic rush, we got on the plane and reached Bozeman in the middle of the night.

The Bozeman airport is nice, but small, with a Western lodge kind of decor. Our two suitcases came down the conveyer, but the cooler didn’t. This was not a good sign. We sat and waited and waited, but it never came. Finally, Leonard went to the office to complain, and after he stood in a huge long line, he discovered it was there in the office because it was overweight. It would have helped if in San Francisco, they would have told us this would happen. So we rented our car and ventured out to seek a motel room.

No reservations. Bad idea. No vacancies anywhere. We finally found a room in a dive called the Rainbow (or something similar thereto.) They only had a smoking room, but I turned the fan on high and it wasn’t so bad. Really. I told myself it wasn’t. In the morning, we made tracks, and for the next night we checked into a place called Western Heritage, which had three AAA stars, even though their continental breakfast was sort of skimpy.

We ate breakfast in a friendly café, on of the three times we ate in a restaurant on this trip. It was the kind of café where the locals go to sit around and drink coffee and the waitress calls the customers “Sweetheart.” Neither my omelette nor my hash browns were brown enough, but I ate it anyway.

Bozeman is a nice little town with a quaint main street. We spent some time walking up and down the street poking into the little stores. There don’t appear to be any chain franchises anywhere near the downtown. We shopped at a food co-op to get ingredients to make sandwiches. Membership is not required at this food co-op, and they had absolutely everything. They even had toiletries in bulk–bring your own bottle. We bought some Burt’s Bees insect repellant (which didn’t have much of the desired effect) and some trail mix along with deli cuts and bread.

I had to keep reminding myself that Bozeman is nice right now, but what about when winter comes? Leonardw is making noise about buying a retirement home there, but then, he skis often in the winter.

The Museum of the Rockies was a fantastic place. I’ve never seen so many dinosaur bones in one place, and very few of them casts. I particularly enjoyed the triceratops display–a graduated set of all sizes of triceratops skulls, from baby to adult. There were some planetarium shows, but Leonard didn’t want to go to them. We also breezed through the basic science displays because they were pretty lame.

We gave a nod to the Montana History, of which there weren’t really many artifiacts, but some. The final prize goes to a stupendously executed oil painting entitled “The Death of John Bozeman.” A man on a horse is firing a rifle point blank at a standing man, all surrounded by glorious fall Montana landscape. Just the thing you’d want hanging in your living room.

Later, I read in some brochure or other that nobody really knows how John Bozeman died. His death (murder?) is a mystery that has never been solved.

Also at the Museum of the Rockies, there is a “living history” farm that shows a homestead. It’s not a typical homestead because the house is two story and has four bedrooms plus a sewing room, but hey. The garden is all planted in heirloom varieties, and there is a (Mandan? I forget which tribe) Indian garden. Only one living history volunteer was there, and she was demonstrating floor mopping, a procedure which appears to have changed not at all since 1850. This was too bad, as I was interested in watching the blacksmith.

The thing that spoiled the living history homestead for me was the plethora of modern accessories. In the root cellar, there were rows and rows of new Kerr mason jars with metal bands and lids. Not authentic. In the little boy’s bedroom, there were Pattern Blocks, with their bright modern paint in primary colors. Pattern Blocks can be bought at any educational supply store, which I suspect the pioneers did not do. I would have liked to have seen homemade wooden blocks colored with natural dyes. Even in NINETEEN-fifty, children didn’t have Pattern Blocks. And–in the sewing room a rag rug was being made of strips of cotton/polyester blend cloth. Some of the cloth featured mod Sixties patterns–stripes and polka dots and daisies and other non-pioneer types of designs.

Oh well. I’m sure they meant it all kindly.

Next morning, we took off for Canada. I was a little nervous about taking a rental car out of the country, myself, but it didn’t seem to present a problem. We stopped at a tiny museum that bragged “Dinosaur Nesting Ground”. When I say “tiny”, I mean it occupied part of a county administration building and had one poor lady docent who was bored to tears. It turned out that the Dinosaur Nesting Ground is somewhere you have to go on a bus to, with an established tour, so we just took a look around the museum. Lots of dinosaur eggs and dinosaur life cycle displays. Another room held historical artifacts. The poor docent kept trying to give us a tour of the rooms. I felt so badly for her. In the little bitty gift shop they had a nightshirt in fabric of dinosaur design that I fell in love with, but I didn’t buy it because it was not 100% cotton. I didn’t buy too much in the gift shop because I was nervous about stretching the Canadian money. Leonard’s ATM card wasn’t working in Canada, so we had to use mine. Lots of places in Canada take Mastercard but not Visa. I seem to remember having the same problem once in Mexico.

On we drove, through Lethbridge, which is an absolutely gorgeous town. We were in the countryside now–lush green pastures with happy cattle, wheat fields–oh, it was lovely. Nobody will ever convince ME that Canadian beef is dangerous. It has to be better to have the cattle roaming in pastures and eating green grass and taking care of their own babies, than our method of crowding the steers into a feedlot full of poopie.

Our objective was Brooks, a town so insignificant and nondescript that I have nothing to say about it. We spent two nights there. The first night I made the mistake of ordering a pizza. I ordered the combination, which is what I usually get, but when it arrived it had meat piled on it an inch and a half deep. Some kind of inferior ham, and what they call salami in Canada, we call bologna. Yuck. I should have ordered the veggie. We picked off what we could, but we ended up throwing most of the pizza out after it had spent a couple of days in the cooler. And there went all my Canadian money.

At some point, we visited a Canadian grocery store where we checked out the packaged deli meat. Horrors upon horrors. They had something called “macaroni and cheese loaf” (don’t ask) and some head cheese with big viscous patches of gelatinized whatever. When I see head cheese I always remember Grandma Della’s experience as a little girl. They always kept her inside when they butchered a pig, but she sneaked out and peeked into the cauldron. She could hear the teeth rattling around in the bottom as it boiled, and as she looked, an eyeball came bubbling up to the surface. (I have never eaten head cheese and don’t plan to start.) They also had plenty of that strange bologna that they call salami.

Next morning, we headed for Dinosaur Provincial Park. I was so excited to be going after many years of longing to go. The beautiful pastureland suddenly dropped off, and we found ourselves in the badlands–wonderful sculptured landscape. I loved it. Down, Down, Down the canyon into the dinosaur park. We had reservations on a ranger-led bus tour–there are many places in the Park they don’t let you go without a ranger. There are also plenty of self-guided trails, and we went on a few of them.

Bones and fossils are lying around all over, but of course visitors may not remove them. I found a clam all by myself. The ranger said the fossils are NOT planted anywhere, they are just a natural part of the park. The park has a simply wonderful campground, and I kept thinking what fun it would have been to come here when the kids were little. The rangers had lots of kid programs, and the park was all in all a high class place. We ate a picnic lunch there in spite of the bugs.

Back to our motel to crash, then the next morning to Drumheller. In Drumheller, they really take the dinosaur schtick seriously and exploit it to the maximum. Tourist traps and rock shops all over the place. Drumheller boasts the world’s tallest dinosaur statue–much, much bigger than those at Cabazon. Leonard paid $3 Canadian for the privilege of climbing to the top and staring out of his mouth. I stayed sitting on a bench and took a picture.

The Royal Tyrrell Museum is a marvel. So many dinosaurs! And other prehistoric flora and fauna too. They have a garden of plants of types that were alive when the dinosaurs roamed. None of this animatronic stuff–just bones and repros. I bought a T-shirt and Leonard bought a mug.

We paid a visit to a tourist trap called Reptile World, which appears to be somebody trying to make money off a reptile collecting hobby. They cheated and had some amphibians as well–frogs and toads. I like seeing snakes and lizards, so I guess the price of admission was worth it. They didn’t have any horny toads though. Horned toads are my favorite.

We ate one of the two dinners we ate in restaurants on this trip. The Chinese place we had wanted was closed, so we went to another one, which was, if not terrible, at least mediocre. I think people should beware of Chinese restaurants that also sell American food. Plus, smoking was allowed in the front of the restaurant (we sat in the back.) Yuck. Most of the rest of the trip we made do with sandwiches that we made from grocery store ingredients and miso soup made in the motel room coffeepot. And motel continental breakfasts.

We visited a fossil shop. I bought a postcard or something, and they gave me a scrap of dinosaur bone. Also, Drumheller has a grocery co-op, so we got supplies there, including the most wonderful pumpernickel I ever tasted. I had it with Havarti cheese one morning for breakfast, and it was so good! We headed out onto the eternal Canadian roads.

The next stop was Vulcan, a Star-Trek themed tourist trap. They had plenty of cardboard standups to take pictures with. I took pictures of Leonard with Quark, and he took one of me with L’hursa and B’etor. Unfortunately the flash reflected in the cardboard, so the pictures aren’t that great. This was in the Chamber of Commerce building, which is shaped like a space ship. All in all, tacky and lame, but great fun, and a wonderful mural of space in the bathroom.

Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump. How to describe this? Besides it being a real hike. This is the place where the Indians chased the buffalo off the cliff, and then butchered them for winter. Blackfeet, I think. At the visitor’s center, they had Indian dancing, and also a mascot in a buffalo suit who break-danced. Whoo. The center cafeteria sold buffalo stew, but we passed. The little museum was more interesting than the jump itself. This was a driving day, and we made it all the way to Cardston, where we drove past the temple and then collapsed into bed in our motel. Our motel room didn’t feature a coffee pot, so no miso soup. We thought kind thoughts of the Matkins but didn’t call; we were too exhausted.

Next morning, up and at ‘em, to Glacier National Park. National parks are apparently charging $20 to get in now, so I was glad I had my Golden Access Pass. Glacier was just lovely. The brochure said there were a thousand varieties of wildflower, and they appeared to be all blooming when we were there. A lively discussion was held in the car about whether glaciers still existed in the park. I insisted that the patches of white on the mountains were glaciers; Leonard thought they were snow. I proved him wrong by turning to the AAA book, that arbiter of all automobile arguments, which says there are fifty glaciers in the park. The scenery was just spectacular.

I was really starting to feel the altitude. I got winded just getting out of the car. For someone who grew up at 9,000 feet, I’ve sure lost lung capacity. This was the day, I think, that I discovered I was short two days worth of TPN. This did not help my exhaustion, because I decided to ration it, and turn the IV pump off when sitting in the car, back on when moving around. But I still felt rotten the rest of the trip.

Overnight was Butte, Montana, after a long drive. Butte is an old mining town that has kept some of the boomtown appearance. I kept thinking of my father. We visited a used bookstore in downtown Butte, but I thought they wanted too much for their books. It was the nicest, biggest used bookstore I’d ever been in.

We ate dinner at an expensive restaurant recommended by the AAA book. Leonard had Beef Wellington, which looked awfully good. I had the shrimp scampi, which arrived strangely covered in cream sauce. It was pretty rich and fancy and yucky. I cleaned the shrimp off the best I could before eating them, and they were pretty scarce on the garlic. It’s not scampi without garlic, now is it? In the restaurant with us was the band, Hotel California. They were playing at the fairgrounds that night, and if I hadn’t been so tired, I’d have wanted to go hear them. They seemed like a nice bunch of fellows. Their long white limo was parked out front.

To the motel to sleep, and the next day, Yellowstone! The scenery is so spectacular. Coming in, we saw an elk and a moose. The big highlight of today was all the thermal spots. We loved seeing the steam come out of the ground. My favorite feature was the mud pots–a huge pool of boiling mud. Hiking out to them, I wished I had my walker, however.

At Old Faithful, I sat on the bench like an old lady while Leonard hiked the boardwalk. He returned just in time to see it erupt. After that, we moseyed on down the road, seeing landscape and herds of buffalo, and ending up in Cody, Wyoming.

Cody is a wretched place. There is nothing to do there but to worship Buffalo Bill. The place I thought I had made us a reservation had never heard of us. We went through the history on my cell phone and found the number I had dialed was another motel, much more decrepit, but cheaper, and they had heard of us, so we stayed there for an uneventful night. The next morning we went to Wal-Mart, it being the only store we could find, and bought picnic stuff.. I hope the fact that we shopped at two co-ops this trip cancels out the humiliation of having to shop at Wal-Mart.

We went back into Yellowstone through the north entrance over the Chief Joseph Highway, which passes where the Nez Perce fought off the US Army. The historical markers were interesting to read, and it was heartening to learn that the public and the press were thoroughly against the Army and in favor of the Nez Perce. The road itself passed through some of the most spectacular scenery of this trip.

This was a Saturday, and Yellowstone was far more crowded than it had been the day before. We saw more buffalo herds, a petrified redwood tree, and the obsidian cliff, which was used by the Native Americans to make arrowheads. We soaked up scenery, had our little picnic lunch, hit the tourist trap store in Mammoth Hot Springs, and then headed off to Bozeman.

Bedtime came early because we had to get up at 4 am. to turn in our rental car and catch our flight. Flight home was uneventful but late. I took a long nap at Leonard’s house, and then in the evening we went over to Leonardw and Jeff’s to celebrate Jeff’s birthday.

In the morning I dropped Leonard off at work and then drove home without incident. I did stop at the farmer’s market in Gilroy where I usually stop because I like the lady, but she was pretty skimpy on the fresh stuff this time, having been bought out over the weekend. She didn’t have any of the cherries that were advertised on frantic signs all along the road, so I had to stop somewhere else to get them. I picked up Gretel, and lo and behold, eventually we were home!

[Comments] (8) Provident Living: Like a good little homesteader, I harvested in the garden today. I picked beets, Swiss chard, tomatoes, zucchini, and herbs. Then I made packets for the freezer that hold the ingredients for a batch of minestrone and I pickled the beets. It was a lot of work.

This was after I pulled a lot of weeds. I don't know what I will do the rest of the week--the city didn't empty my green waste bin on Monday.

It's A LOT of work to be a homesteader.

[Comments] (1) Quickie Trip: Gretel and I are back from a trip to Costa Mesa to visit Susie and John. They have a lovely apartment set in lushly landscaped grounds, and they appear to be doing just great.

I drove all the way there on the 405, my least favorite freeway, because I thought about staying on the 5 and then I thought, "Do I really want to be driving through The Stack" at 5 p.m. on a Friday afternoon?" The answer to that question was No, I Really Do Not. Really.

Gretel behaved horribly at John and Susie's. She peed on the carpet, and wouldn't go to the bathroom outside. John took her for a nice long walk, and when they came back in she made eye contact with him and peed AGAIN, right in front of him. (I think this answers the question of whether she is going to Utah with me in a couple of weeks!) Then she would'nt settle down and kept getting up all night. This trip disabused me of any notion that I could have a doggie who can go on trips with me and keep me company. She's just too high strung.

In the morning while John went to work, Susie and I took Gretel to the Bark Park where she had a good time. Then we went to lunch at MickeyD's. I tried the new grilled classic chicken sandwich. It had a huge slather of mayonnaise on it, but fortunatly most of it was on the lettuce leaf which I had to remove anyhow because it was a type of lettuce I can't eat anymore. It needed a little something else. Some kind of other sauce on the chicken, or something. If I ever order one again I'm going to ask for one of those little tubs of bbq sauce to put on it.

Susie and Gretel each had a double cheeseburger, so don't say that dog isn't spoiled. We took at nap at the apartment and then drove home. I am exhausted, and we didn't really do anything!

Woof!: Gretel and I are back from the dog park. She ran herself to exhaustion. I'm hoping to get a good night's rest tonight because school starts in the morning.

Brother Bean asked me to talk in church next week. My subject is a big one--the message and ministry of Jesus Christ. Whew.

I made another pizza today but it's not as good. I used frozen tomatoes, and I put tomato paste. The tomato paste was kind of a bad idea I guess.

Oh boy do I have a lot of frozen tomatoes.

[Comments] (3) First Day of School: I'm back from the first day of school. How will I ever learn everyone's name? Both my classes were standing room only, with enough people on the waiting list to populate another section, and very few no-shows. There are a lot of kids going to go away disappointed tomorrow when the registration system rolls itself over. But I can't teach all of them!

Another thing that happened is a girl who finished off her incomplete over the summer came to tell me that the incomplete was still on her record and the registration computer had bumped her out of her English 1 class because of it. I took the grade change form over to the records office myself this summer, and I guess I handed it to an idiot because it never got changed.

What they have done basically is ruin her life. Even after we get the incomplete business straightened out, she still won't be able to get into a class because the place she had is taken now by a waitlist person and there are no more open places in classes. Incompetence, grrrr.

In other news, scuttlebutt has found out that the administration made a mistake in reporting to Sacramento the last four years, which has resulted in four years of budget shortfalls for us. The school is teaching the students but not getting paid for it because of some dingdong in the office.

This is why I always vote no when they run a bond issue on the ballot. These fools don't know how to run a college or how to handle money.

[Comments] (2) Cluck!: I read in the paper today about chicken who got a $50 ticket for walking in the road. Her owner is fighting it, of course, and has already been to court twice.

Good old Kern County Sherrif. They don't have any murderers or thieves they need to find, do they? So they have to write tickets for chickens.

Anyone wonder why the government has a budget shortfall?

[Comments] (2) How Many Times Do I Have To Say I'm Sorry?: Today I had to send a dozen waitlisted people packing. There is simply not enough room for them in the class. There is nowhere for them to sit, and their poor decrepit teacher can't grade that many essays. They begged. They cried. It was just awful. One of the boys tried to bribe me, starting with $200, and working up to a thousand. I probably pointed out to him ten times that even if I were to let him in, there are seven people ahead of him on the waitlist. Absolutely ghastly. There is one guy I couldn't get rid of. He would NOT leave, saying he prefers to stay and see if someone drops. Nobody is going to drop, and even if they do, I want a smaller class.

I didn't send as many off as I wish I would because I added two places to my class last night and the system let seven people in!!!! I have 33 people in the class and 31 chairs in the room.

I'm going to have to go through this again tomorrow with my other class.

[Comments] (3) Hassledyhassle: I am still battling the records office about that incomplete they never fixed. They are trying to put the blame on me, the turkeys. I KNOW I turned in a change of incomplete form this summer.

I sent an email to the girl's English 1 teacher begging her to reinstate her into the class, and I filed a new change of grade form with the records office. I don't feel good about this because the person who took the card from me this time is the same person who lost the card last summer.

Also, I almost got beat up when I tried to send all the excess waitlist people away from my class. I've never seen anyone get to mad before. I think she doesn't have a right to get mad because if she had registered on time, she would have been on the roll, not the waitlist. She was a big sarcastic lady who got violent when I told her I couldn't let her into the class. Fortunately, she eventually stomped out. Now, I have a whole bunch of papers to grade. Back to the old routine!

OCD/AR: Finally, I'm through with the home health care people for a few days. Sigh. When I went to Dr. Amin today, his nurse told me that four different people called her to tell her I would be on vacation last month. (Dr.'s office already knew this lovely bit of news.) I replied that I think you have to be OCD to work at the home health place.

They got all excited at the dr.'s office because I had a temperature of 102. I came home and I'm drinking ice water, so its down some now. No wonder I felt lousy. If I'm still running a fever tomorrow, I have to go back to the doctor. *takes temperature*

It's still elevated.

I wish I didn't have to live my life around doctors, nurses, IVs and pills.

[Comments] (3) Sky Pilot: Temp is still high. I had some of my homemade chicken broth, which I doctored up with garlic, ginger, and soy sauce so it thinks its a Pho. Made my head sweat; hopefully the fever will sweat out.

If I'm still feverish tomorrow I have to go back to the doctor, which I am Not Interested in doing. I have a college kid coming to pull weeds in the morning.

Some Better: I think I'm some better today. My temp is down to "normal" range, but not near the subnormal I usually am. Yet. My college kid got here at 7:30 and we pulled weeds until it got too hot at 10:00. Xochitl watched him instead of watching me. I guess she felt the need to see what the haps were.

I am unable to mend the water crock, so I need to call Arrowhead and tell them to bring me one. I was hoping to mend it so when Alex was here he could install a new bottle. Maybe I can get the Arrowhead guy to put it together. Does anyone want a crock with sunflowers on it? My thinking is a plant would look nice in it. I called them, but the recording said at least seven minutes wait time, so I gave up. I'm going to try again now.

[Comments] (3) Procrastination--It's True!: I really did a lot today, but the main thing I did was fuss and worry about the talk I have to give in Sacrament Meeting tomorrow. Bleah. So I pulled weeds, went to the store, washed rags and towels, made rigatoni, deep pitted a tri-tip and read email and played every Scrabble turn I could.

Finally, I have my talk prepared. Now I am procrastinating grading a file folder full of diagnostic writing samples that I don't want to do. Also I should go to Ernestine Boonstoppel's because it's the end of the month. I made a dish of rigatoni to take to her, but I don't seem to have the energy to put Gretel out and go over there and listen to her aches and pains. I don't mind really, and I like visiting her, but I'm out of energy.

Pooh on the writing diagnostics, which I have put off since Wednesday.

[Comments] (2) Linguistics: Today I asked Gretel if she would like some sushi and Xochitl thought I was talking to her and came running. Funny, the similarities in sound between the Japanese language and the Aztec language.

Jabberwocky for 2005 August

<M <Y
Y> M>


© 2001-2006 Frances Whitney.