Traffic for 2004 March 7 (entry 0)

< Rachel, you'll appreciate this
Bravery >

[Comments] (9) : I started the seventh chronicle of narnia. I always get sad when I come to the end of books. Then I have to find a new series to read. Not to mention that books are expensive (well, not as bad as textbooks, but let's not open that can of worms). What shall I read next?

Sometimes I wish I could get Susie to read too. But she reads her scriptures and cookbooks pretty religiously so I guess that's a start. Hopefully she'll really get into it when he start having kids.

Comments:

Posted by Frances at Sun Mar 07 2004 12:16

Terry Pratchett books. There is a whole shelf of them here that Leonard and I have collected over the years that you may have.

Posted by Alyson at Sun Mar 07 2004 19:02

How about reading all those childhood classics, Susie? I remember Sumana was re-reading Laura Ingalls Wilder a while back. How about those Little House on the Prarie books? Or maybe Little Women. Louisa May Alcott is pretty easily enjoyed. And then there is Harry Potter, which both of you should enjoy, if you haven't already. Forgive me if you have and I've missed those entries :). There are lots of good books out there.

Posted by Sumana at Sun Mar 07 2004 19:54

For something to really sink your teeth into and keep by the bedside or read on a long trip, I say the Russians do exceeding well. Solzhenitsyn, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Turgenev. Most of them also wrote short stories if that's your thing. Pushkin & Gogol short stories are quite fun. And I'm on a Fitzgerald kick so I'll recommend "The Great Gatsby" and his short stories too. Also, Alyson's right - I've reread The Long Winter several times, and perhaps you and/or Susie would like it - and I have enjoyed The Truth and Small Gods by Pratchett, and Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett.

I have way more recommendations, suited to taste and need. Contact me for an estimate (tee-hee).

Posted by Rachel at Sun Mar 07 2004 23:17

I can't believe you actually have time to read in your spare time, but then, I guess not everyone reads for work AND school. You could always try some Austen or Bronte classica, but I don't know how well you'd like that.....

Posted by John at Mon Mar 08 2004 11:07

Already read Gatsby, The Little House on the Prarie series (believe it or not), Crime and Punishment, and Pride and Prejudice. I wanted to read Anna Karenina, but someone already told me the ending. Is War and Peace any good?

And Rachel, I don't find spare time; I make it. That's what Sundays are for!

Posted by Frances at Mon Mar 08 2004 16:26

I liked War and Peace, but I read it thirty years ago. Anna Karennina is good enough that it's worth reading even if you know the ending.

Posted by Kristen at Mon Mar 08 2004 17:13

You could read the new book Eragon that is on the best sellers list. It was written by a 15 yr old. Aaron has read it and he liked it. He can't believe that a 15 yr old had that vocabulary. Anyway, we have it if you want to borrow it. It is the fantasy genre like LotR.

Posted by Susie at Mon Mar 08 2004 19:21

We have both read Harry Potter and LoTR. I explained to John that no one would read LoTR if they hated to read. I just have been busy with other hobbies. But now I am considering rereading Chronicles of Narnia. I don't think I read them since the summer I left for college.

Posted by Alyson at Mon Mar 08 2004 21:07

Dave has read through the first 2/3ds of War and Peace twice. Pretty funny. By the time he is ready to resume, he'll start at the beginning AGAIN.

© 2003-2011 John Chadwick.