Traffic for 2004 October 5 (entry 0)

< Weekend of Bliss
Curses >

[Comments] (7) : You'll never guess who got a perfect score on their estates and trusts test. FYI--be very, very careful how you gift your wealth to others. The taxes are extremely high. That's donkeys for ya.

Comments:

Posted by Sumana at Tue Oct 05 2004 11:25

Congratulations on the perfect score! Very praiseworthy.

I'm a tax-and-spend liberal. I figure we should tax before we spend.

Posted by John at Tue Oct 05 2004 11:34

I beleive in taxes to run the economy, its when we start talking about taxing me for Medicaid/Social Security, etc that I start to get upset. Basically I am paying for something I don't ever expect to benefit from, and that tends to rub me the wrong way.

Posted by Frances at Tue Oct 05 2004 20:57

Nobody's going to benefit from my "wealth" anyhow. There isn't any. Oh well. I've had a good life, three beautiful kids, and a lot of fun. I've never been very successful, but I've gotten by and accomplished quite a bit in my small way. Living month to month isn't all that much of a riot, but I manage. What I hate paying taxes for is wars. And foreign aid where I know the money is just going to corrupt governments and never reaching the starving children it should be meant for.

Posted by Sumana at Wed Oct 06 2004 09:36

Barack Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention:

"...John Kerry believes in America. And he knows it's not enough for just some of us to prosper. For alongside our famous individualism, there's another ingredient in the American saga.

A belief that we are connected as one people. If there’s a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief — I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper—that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. 'E pluribus unum.' Out of many, one...."

Posted by John at Wed Oct 06 2004 10:22

But there are bigger questions begging to be answered. Can the old lady not pay for her perscriptions because she is an alcoholic, or because she chose to be a philosophy major in college (or any other similar major that the market does not demand work from) or is it because of circumstances outside of her control?

The core of the problem is: did she have the opportunity to pay for that subscription and chose a different path in life that made affording to live difficult, or did she do all she could, and needs help to make up the difference? If it is the latter, I am there for her. If, however, it is the former, then I feel sorry for her, but her poor choices in life should not dictate how I choose to live and provide for my family.

Unfortunately, it is my personal determination (that is not statistically based or anything, just an unfounded belief I have) that the former is all too common in our country. That dole, idleness, and poor choices are rewarded by a government in an effort to strive for "equality."

Don't get me wrong, I am all for equality. But I choose to call it an equality of opportunity, not an equality of outcome. All have the opportunity to go to public school, work hard, and go to at least a community college in life. But because some choose not to do so should not necessarily pull at my heartstrings.

I recognize exceptions, such as Francis and my father, who became ill not of their volition. However, my mother returned to work because, as a teacher, there was a market for her skills. All of us children (except for my spoiled little sister) have always worked to support ourselves. Never did the thought enter our minds to wait for the government disability checks to come rolling in. We simply rolled up our sleeves and made due. And that, to me, is the American dream.

And that is my view on how the world should work. I am a strong believer in the Protestant work ethic that runs through my veins.

Posted by John at Wed Oct 06 2004 10:40

In my excitement to share my view with the world, I should note that I give this dissertation merely so that others may understand what drives John Chadwick, not to argue politics with anybody. For through understanding comes enlightenment, blah blah blah. The way I see it, there are enough debates on the tube these days that we aren't lacking in that area anyway.

I don't want anyone to feel they need to defend their views to me (though they are always welcome to share them with me). I just found the opprtune moment to write my personal views down.

Posted by Susie at Wed Oct 06 2004 18:26

Mo-om. You at least have STUFF to leave us, and knowing we have the best mommy EVER.

© 2003-2011 John Chadwick.