Traffic for 2007 December 13 (entry 0)

< Neverending Snowy
Yay & Nay >

[Comments] (6) Politically Correct: Rather than threadjack Joe's post, I have a few comments of my own. I've been considering the state of the Union, and how it can improve. I must admit, I do not think that Huckabee would help. If he is the embodiment of the Christian right, consider me not a Christian. Anyone who believes that AIDS victims should be quarantined, or that it's "ok" to hate certain groups of people (homosexuals, Mormons), or that the budget should be loosened even more to increase the debt of the nation is not in line with my vision for my America.

Having said that, I am not sure if Mitt is my man, either. Though I have no doubt whatsoever that he would act independent from the Church, perception can be powerful. In essence, I don't want every decision, good or bad, to be associated with the Church. The Church has no posterboy, unless of course you consider it to be Jesus Christ. Not that Mitt is proclaiming himself to be the Mormon posterboy. But I'm afraid the media would paint the picture as such.

I won't even discuss Guiliani. So I guess that leaves me with Clinton or Obama. Obama I like, I think, though I haven't studied him in depth. The whole Oprah frenzy is kind of a silly tactic, though, I must admit. Then there was Hillary. Once again, I don't know enough about her. But most people I know tell me they would never vote for her. When I ask why, their responses are vague and unconvincing.

In short, to coin a phrase, Huckabee, "thou almost convertest me to be a liberal!"

Lastly, Susie & I have been following a story of a Utah family who adopted a boy through LDS family services. The birth mother, in ID, gave him up for adoption. The sperm-donating father, nowhere to be seen during the past two years, wants him. And apparently he gets him. Give me a president willing to promote a change to this twisted type of judicial law and I'll have found my candidate.

Comments:

Posted by Susie at Thu Dec 13 2007 15:23

Too bad we took the bumper sticker off! Did you read Newsweek re: Huckabee and Romney? I thought it was interesting. I didn't read too closely, but I didn't see anything misrepresenting the church for once.

Posted by Rachel at Thu Dec 13 2007 15:44

Ahh I miss Newsweek. Never underestimate the power of Oprah, as any bookseller knows. It is seriously frightening.

It is awful about that family, and must be terrible for the child. I am with you on that one.

Posted by John at Fri Dec 14 2007 13:10

Susie: Haha. I still don't know who I am voting for (it's too early) so I'm glad the sticker is gone. That and I tend not to be so brazen with my politics. But if I do decide to vote for her, we can put one back on! I think I hid all the extra stickers in one of Rachel's boxes, along with the grapes of wrath and the Ray Bradbury autograph.

Posted by Kristen at Sat Dec 15 2007 11:36

That is so sad...where did the adoption take place? B/c when Meg was looking into adoption, Utah law says the birth father only has 24 hours after the baby is born to claim parental rights. I would think ID would have similar laws. That is so disgusting that a father would do that to his own child and take away their security.

Posted by Susie at Sat Dec 15 2007 13:22

The baby was adopted at his birth in June. The father had an opportunity to go to the hospital and file a parental claim, nad was also notified several times by LDS services before the adoption.

Posted by John at Mon Dec 17 2007 08:31

Kristen: I don't know ID law. And I should note that the case is not over. It was only ruled that the blood father gets custody during the trial. But still!

Also, Kristen, I have tried posting on your website but it always says that my comments are spam and will not post. Just so you know.

© 2003-2011 John Chadwick.