Traffic for 2008 November 9 (entry 0)

< Condimentary
Preemptive Strike >

[Comments] (12) The End: In order to put the current political round behind me, a few thoughts.

A lot of people have asked me lately how I can be a Mormon and a "liberal thinker" at the same time. Some have gone as far to infer that I illegally hold a temple recommend. My response is thus: True believers of the LDS (or any) faith believe in a certain number of absolutes. That is to say, my church is right, so the rest are wrong. Some take this farther than others. I still believe that good people of ANY faith can go to heaven, but at the end of the day I too believe my religion is the most correct.

These same people want the rest of the world to be black and white. So if the Republicans are right, then the Democrats are wrong. Unfortunately, life does not work that way. Case in point: lieing to kids about Santa Claus, Nephi killing Laban, etc. So then the reason I can be both of what I am is because I can pick and choose what I believe out of politics. I can choose to accept people for who they are and believe in welfare and still be pro-choice. The following article says the rest far better than I can: Link

Time for my soapbox:

I believe in raising taxes to help out those less fortunate. Some people call it welfare. The truth is, though, our country is already very socialist. The public school system, child labor laws, etc are all good things, and all socialist ideals. I think too many people are just plain selfish. I'm willing to give of my excess, regardless of whether the ultimate recipient is deserving or not.

I believe in socialized medicine. This is so because I don't want to endure any more emails about fundraisers for bone marrow transplants for the little timmy's of the world. Just give them the transplants already before I start to cry.

I can choose to be pro-choice and still support a party that isn't, based on the article above.

I am willing to give the Republicans my vote, in the future, if they can cut the bull and get to work. They had the run of the mill from 2000-2006 and did nothing. To win back my vote, the following is required: stop hating Mormons, gays, and illegal aliens. Stop staying you are pro-choice and care about life and then allowing thousands to die in the Superdome because you are both on vacation and incompetent. When you say you are fiscally conservative, then mean it.

Lastly: I don't blame Bush for the economy. I won't blame Obama either. I blame greed.

Comments:

Posted by Kristen at Sun Nov 09 2008 22:06

Your blog now won't let me comment. I don't know what is wrong with the comments on here.

Posted by Kristen at Sun Nov 09 2008 22:06

Posted by Kristen at Sun Nov 09 2008 22:07

i wrote a comment but it says you have to verify it.

Posted by Rachel at Tue Nov 11 2008 15:16

Wow John, when did you become such a liberal? =P No, really, last I heard you were against socialized medicine, what made you change your mind? (I am having a great experience over here with it in England, having been previously uninsured, never had to wait long for an appointment or anything, though I think dental care may be another story...)

Posted by John at Tue Nov 11 2008 17:32

Yeah I was having a spam problem wherein I had like 200 spams on some posts. So I accidentally marked them all as bad and now you are all quarantined. I've approved you all now.

Rachel: my stance on socialized medicine is pretty new. Like I said, I just feel bad when honest, hardworking people have to mortgage a home to save a child. I don't think it should be that way.

Posted by John at Tue Nov 11 2008 17:33

Kristen: Feel free to comment again. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Posted by Sumana at Tue Nov 11 2008 20:06

John, as always, I appreciate the thoughtful, witty notes you post on politics, and your generally calming effect on these discussions.

Sorry to hear about the spam! Does that mean you're getting popular?

Posted by Joe Walch at Wed Nov 12 2008 08:56

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of 'socialized' (universal minimum of health care) medicine as well, but I think the emails are only going to get worse under that plan. I think having 60% of the Health care insurance based on non-portable employee insurance or having wide disparities between states is not healthy for the country.
There are some differences, however, between the way the plan would be implemented in Texas as it would in Canada (separated by a third world country by the largest economy in the world), England (separated by the English Channel and continental Europe) and Australia (Indian Ocean and a powerful Navy).
I think it'd be nice for those people in Blue Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Washington, and Oregon to pick up the tab of the large illegal immigrant population of Texas, Arizona and California.

The problem is that the provider (doctor) doesn't want to think about cost and the consumer (patient) doesn't has a really tough time making cost-benefit decisions that the doctor isn't willing or able (prices vary too much to keep track) to provide to the patient. As long as people understand the consequences (e.g. higher taxes, less choice--I'll email the article if you want) then I think a universal minimum of health care would be good for this country.

Posted by Joe Walch at Wed Nov 12 2008 08:59

Posted by Susie at Wed Nov 12 2008 10:54

Rach, John says neither you nor I can claim any credit on his liberal ways but admits perhaps Mom had some influence.

Posted by John at Wed Nov 12 2008 15:16

Kristen emailed me and noted a flaw in my post: I meant to say that I am pro-life but can still support a party that is pro-choice.

Posted by Joe Walch at Wed Nov 12 2008 19:34

My brow furrowed when reading the post, but now I am much relieved.

I think that Mormons would be quite in the Democratic camp if it weren't for the dem's relative weakness in social conservative issues (and on national defense to a smaller degree).

[Main]

© 2003-2015 John Chadwick.