- To improve humanity's standard of living by adding connections and destroying inefficiencies.
- January 2005-present: Freelance consultant
- Software and web service consulting for Get Satisfaction, The Colbert Report, and others.
- March 2011-July 2011: Lead Developer, Findings (https://www.findings.com/)
Implemented a web application for sharing quotes from books and from the Web. This application's backend included systems for automatically retrieving book and article metadata, and for consolidating different editions of a single underlying text.
- October 2007-March 2011: Senior Software Developer, Canonical USA (http://www.canonical.com/)
- Designed and implemented a framework for exposing software
development assets through a RESTful web service. This service
is used in the development of the Ubuntu Linux distribution and
dozens of smaller open source software projects. I also managed
developer relations with the users of this
- July 2000-October 2005: Software Engineer, CollabNet, Inc. (http://www.collab.net/)
Designed and implemented the integration framework for an online
collaborative software development environment. Tools integrated
included issue trackers, version control systems, and mailing
- November 2003-February 2004: Software Architect, Clark For President, Inc.
Designed and implemented a federated network of online communities
to support grassroots political organization. Designed,
implemented, and supported a distributed voter contact drive.
- Selected Publications
RESTful Web APIs, O'Reilly and Associates, September 2013.
"LCODC$SSU and the coming automated web". Talk presented at RESTFest 2013.
"How to Follow Instructions". Talk presented at QCon New York 2012.
Constellation Games, Candlemark & Gleam, 2012. Science fiction.
Like Hypermedia, But They Don't Like Web Browsers". Paper presented at WS-REST 2010.
Us Now Praise Awesome Dinosaurs". Strange Horizons, July 2009. Science fiction.
Will Take us Millions of Intricate Moves". Presentation given at QCon 2008.
Cookbook, O'Reilly and Associates. July 2006. Finalist, 2007 Jolt Awards.
"The Ultra Gleeper: A Recommendation Engine for Web Pages". Paper presented at CodeCon 2005.
- Open Source Portfolio
Beautiful Soup (http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/)
An HTML parser that makes screen-scraping easy.
A utility library for artistic text generation.
A scripting language for creating realistic fictional characters on Twitter.
The original Zen simulation.
Annotate Zope interfaces to produce RESTful web services
More at http://www.crummy.com/software/
- Primary Skills
- REST, web services, Python, web applications, English prose
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
University of California, Los Angeles